Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Blog Post #2

Did You Know?
To be honest, my first reaction was literally WOW! There were bits of information on this video that I had no clue were even possible! I thought it was a well thought out and very intellectual presentation that covered many interesting topics relative to our lives today.
The one thing I am unsure of however is how and where they got all this information and if the information is really true. I can only assume that this video is based on fact and that I just can’t fathom the truth. For example, I cannot see how it would be possible for India to have more honors students than America has kids. And also how there are over 200 million registered users on MySpace. It is amazing how our generation today uses the internet and how it took a mere two years for facebook to reach a market audience of 50 million people.

Mr. Winkle Wakes
This video makes me think about all the times I hear on the radio or television about someone older having a birthday. I am talking about grandparents or even great grandparents turning 100 or even older. It makes me wonder what they think about their lives. If you think about it, they have been through The Great Depression, World Wars, segregation, changes in vehicles, gas wars, tools made easier, and most importantly like the video shows, the technology age.
I both agree and disagree with its remarks on the fact that education is the same as it was the way he remembers it. Well yes kids are required to go to class, take notes, and learn, but we as students have many more resources at our fingertips than anyone that long ago could have ever imagined. And one great example would be this class, where 75% of the time is spent online and we rarely meet and have lecture. It’s a very big change from the old traditional way of learning in schools.

The Importance Of Creativity
Creativity is as important as literacy! I agree with this statement 100%. I believe that if there was as much emphasis in schools for creativity that kids would open their minds to learning at much greater capacities than they are at now.
I also believe that as much importance should be placed on activities such as music, art, and dramas is placed on math and English so that it will allow students to be more creative and possibly push them to pursue a career in something they may have previously seen as out of reach. And Mr. Robinson says it best when he says “If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.”

Harness Your Students Digital Smarts
I agree with this video. To me, using many different types of learning techniques, such as using technology in the classroom, will help students of all educational backgrounds succeed. I believe this because our generation is one of much technology and it is in our faces 24/7. And there are several cases where the student will know more than the teacher. So why would we not use the resources that kids know how to use and love to use to teach your class.
I like the idea the teacher presents of when her students don’t know a definition to a word how she makes them look it up. I use technology in the same way and many times I will be on Google searching for the meaning of a word. I believe the same should be done in classes to help students to become self motivated to learn and actually help them to learn on their own as well.

3 comments:

  1. I see you agreed with the Creativity video as well. It does point out a lot of things as far as creativity goes in schools.

    I also liked how the teacher makes students learn. She doesn't spoon-feed them anything. She makes them learn things on their own, which is how it's going to be in the real world. No one is going to hold their hands through everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cody,

    I ought to thank you for a great conversation your Winkle Wakes reaction inspired. Because of your comments about the centurions witnessing such great change, I asked Jamie Lynn and Stephen about which time period they would find most fascinating to live through. Stephen never picked a time period, but much to our surprise, Jamie Lynn picked a time period lived during Jesus life time. Stephen suggested she might have preferred to live during the dinosaur times, which put us on a tangent about Biblical credibility and timelines.

    So thank you for the conversation inspiration. Keep up the good work, and feel free to be bold with your opinions and give great feedback!

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cody,
    I too had to question some of the facts in the "Did you know?" video because they were so outrageous, but I can only assume that they really are true.
    I also think it's absolutely amazing how fast the internet has grown, but it is easy to see how facebook has spread because literally everyone I know has one.
    I agree with your thoughts in the "Mr. WInkle wakes" video, I believe that education is different than when he remembers it. Our technology is becoming more and more advanced by the day! This class is a great example.
    Your thoughts on the "Importance of Creativity" video make a lot of sense. It's important that students are able to express their creativity in schools. It not only helps the dicipline aspect but the learning and involvement as well.
    "Harness Your Student's Digital Smarts" is a great video expressing how "in our face" technology really is. I definitely agree with your opinion that we should use all of the resources we have.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete