Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blog Post #3

Vision Of Students Today
I believe that this video captures 75% of college students lives perfectly. If you observe a classroom today, many students bring a laptop and many are on something other than class work. As they state in the video, students pay for classes yet never show up. Also, and this is my favorite one because I can relate, most students buy hundred dollar text books and never even open them. It has happened to me many times and is very frustrating when you don’t use it and can only sell it back for half price.
I think a little more information about or examples of technology should have been implemented into this video. They could have actually shown students working with technology and teachers actually using technology as a way to help in the classroom, but overall it was a great presentation.

Its Not About Technology
I agree whole heartedly with Mrs. Hines. It seems that basically the world wants technology to take over. And maybe in 20 year, or maybe less, it will happen and we won’t have teachers in front of the classroom anymore. School will be a link on a web page that you can access from your bed at home that will take you to several podcasts of material you must learn for the day.
I personally disagree with even the possibility of that happening. I am very partial to the traditional ways of teaching where you lecture in front of the class on a chalk board and students take notes as she vaguely hints to in her paragraph about “Being a teacher without technology.” I couldn’t agree more with her paragraph about “Technology is useless without good teaching.” If you don’t know how to use it, then it really doesn’t matter how much technology you have.

Is It Okay To Be Technologically Illiterate?
I agree with his points about technology and it is true that all positions held in education, whether it is principal, inspector, or teacher, should all be held accountable for at least being able to understand some forms of technology.
I also understand where he comes from when he talks about some people being proud that they are technologically literate. People should want to learn more about technology not flaunt illiteracy. To me ignorance isn’t an excuse!
I do think the times are becoming more technologically demanding but I don’t think that it is yet to the point of where if you don’t know technology then you can’t survive in the world.

Social Media Count
The social media counter Mr. Gary Hayes has is an amazing piece of technology. It is incredible to see how active the board is and how quickly the numbers increase within a matter of seconds. This shows that for us as teachers, it is obvious that we will need some sort of technological background in the job world today. However, I still stick with my statement that we aren’t to the point yet where if we don’t know technology then we can’t function in the world; but we definitely must be aware that the times are changing.

2 comments:

  1. Cody, I enjoyed reading your views on our assignments last week, and I must concur with you.
    Visions of Today: The video portrayed the average college student well, I don't know if I could name a college student who didn't relate.

    It's Not About Tech: I think it will be a while before the traditional way of teaching becomes a thing of the past. Nonetheless, I agree that it will be there one day.


    Okay To Be Tech Illiterate: I agree that ignorance is no excuse. Especially since technology is so accessible. Lack of knowledge is a direct cause of laziness!

    Social Media Count: Wasn't the counter cool! I never would've fathomed those numbers to increase in the manner that they did, but I cannot doubt it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa: I would have thought that you would be more likely to say that laziness is a direct cause of ignorance and not the opposite.

    ReplyDelete