Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blog Post #4

Dont Teach Your Kids This Stuff
Scott McLeod is a professor at Iowa State University. He is obviously incredibly technologically savvy and he heads many programs that are designed to prepare technological school leaders. He wrote the poem Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? and i agree with his view points totally. I like when he says that he teaches his children to use technology and that if you dont we will see who has the leg up in a decade or two. Its true that if you dont use it your going to be behind. I think he is so satirical because most people dont take learning about technology as seriously as they should.

The iSchool Initiative
This presentation banks on the idea of using ipod touches asa schools primary resource of not only technology but also everything else. He suggests taking out books, paper, copiers, and pencils out of schools and replacing them all with a simple little machine. He says we will use the applications of the itouch to learn in school and also showed many apps i have never heard of.
While there are many great apps available for this itouch, I dont think that one little piece of technology could replace the schools "essentials." I also dont think that it is feasable, at least in the near future, to think that schools can provide everyone with a $200 dollar itouch. I mean some places these days now dont even have computers. And what happens if one gets broken? Or they begin to come up missing? I do however think that it is a great idea and a very well thought out way to incorporate technology into schools.

The Lost Generation
That was an awesome video and its techniwues of saying something forward and then using those same words/sentences and reading backwards really caught my attention. I believe that it did its job in getting its point across that we make our own future and we must decide that we are going to do what is right and change the world for the better.

Eric Whitacres Virtual Choir
To me this is a most amazing feat in the field of technology. It is incredible that it was put together through the internet, the people have never met nor performed together, and it sounds absolutely amazing! It is just incredible what technology in the right hands is capable of.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that people don't take technology as seriously as they should. Technology is already such a big deal, I can't even begin to imagine all the things they will come up with in the future.
    I liked the idea behind the iInitiative, but you are right about it not being very realistic. There are obviously some issues that would come up if schools were to try to convert to that.
    I really liked the The Lost Generation as well. I thought it was quite clever.
    The virtual choir blew my mind. It is amazing that someone was able to put all of those videos together to create something so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the instructions say that if my person doesnt have anything posted on what i am supposed to be commenting on then I should just comment on whosever...so, you pretty much said everything I said in mine so I agree with it. Also, C.j. sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha they need a "like" button for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the Lost Generation is very effective. Like you said, "We make our own future." I think some get a little confused regarding this video and think that it is trying to preach a specific kind of morality. I think your statement above sums it up perfectly.

    Regarding you blog, your title should read, "Cody Coleman's EDM 310 Class Blog" Also, don't forget to proof read before posting. SS

    ReplyDelete