Monday, October 25, 2010

Additional Assignment #3

We were assigned to watch Changing Educational Paradigms by Sir Ken Robinson. There is nothing in this video that I dont agree with and it is done in a way that grabs the attention of the listener by doing in the animated format. I believe his main point for the video is to get us to realize that our educational system needs to change. We must get rid of the older curiculum that he says was thought of during the industrial revoltuion and create something new to help educate our children to take their place in society today. He gives the example that most kids these days are diagnosed with ADHD and it is all because we are teaching the same old boring things in the classroom. I agree that it is not an epidemic that is spreading across the country and that we are doing as he says, which is getting our children through school by anaesthetising them. When he says that changing the paradigm is about going in the opposite direction of standardization, I completely agree with him there.
I think that we are able to address the issues he brings up by working to make our individual classrooms the way he thinks schools should be run. Of course one classroom out of the whole school wont make a huge difference but it is definitely a start. We could turn away from standardization, turn to more convergent thinking, and help to educate children to take their place in society. I loved the animation video style and if I were to be a part of a team making this type of video, since I absolutely cannot draw I would try to be more of maybe the author or the idea generator.

No comments:

Post a Comment