Monday, October 25, 2010

Blog Post #10

Morgan Bayda's Blog

out with the old

We were assigned to read a post by Morgan Bayda, who is a new teacher working in Canada. The experiences in her post and in the video by Dan Brown reflected the ones of my schooling here. Like she says, she goes to class to sit thru a lecture struggling to keep my eyes open. In some classes, not all, there is little to no interaction about a topic between students. This is not true for one of my classes I have this semester where when we go to class we get into our groups and so basically the whole learning experience is collaberative group work. I agree with Dan Brown when he says that yes education is using some forms of education in schools today such as email or online databases, but in order to really succeed you must use more of the technology being introduced into society today. In some of my classes today my teachers learn names of students but in most experiences its the students who ask questions and go to the teacher for help who actually have their names remembered by the teacher. The teacher never really bothers to try, although with a class of 200 I really cant blame him/her. To me, depending on the course, most classes do consist of what Dan Brown says. He said that his classes consisted of the teacher teaching facts and come test time the students simply regurgitate the facts and information. This class to me is an exception to all these experiences and concepts. It is something more along the lines I think of what they are trying to explain in this video and post.

In two questions that can change your life, he created two questions for us. The first is "What's my sentence?" and the second is "Was I better today than yesterday?" They can affect me by helping me realize what i am trying to do in this world. I believe my sentence is "I believe I was put on this earth to help people, and so i am becoming a teacher."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cody,

    I enjoyed reading your Blog Post 10. EDM 310 is the first class that I have ever taken that we learned by listening to others. Blogging and tweeting were foreign to me until now and I love them both. Yes, I too have taken courses in college that bored me to death and being in an interactive class such as this one has been so great..too bad all of our classes are not this way! Love your sentence too. Best of Luck to you.

    Jessica Hadaway
    EDM310

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sentence is great, and I am glad you thought critically about what Dan Brown was saying. However, I think the point of his message was to teach us that collaborative, applicable, practice based learning is the way to go. It promotes problem solving skills. And since we can't predict the jobs of tomorrow, preparing our students with problem solving skills is key.

    ReplyDelete