Saturday, October 2, 2010

Blog Post #6

The Networked Student
This video was about a student in a class that meets a few days a week and then the rest of the class is online. He is in what they call the "Social Network" and he uses resources such as wiki, itunesU, and google scholar to search for and find information that he needs for his project.
Personally, I really dont like the idea of having a lecture class where you go a certain time per week and the rest of the time is online. The reason for this is because i have a cell biology class just like that now here at South and we go to class one day a week only to do a group assignment. Our lectures for the class are posted as podcasts in itunesU under our teachers link and that is where we get the lecture material for that certain unit.
When the question arises of "Why does the student even need a teacher," i believe his response answered it perfectly. The teacher essentially becomes a resource in case he has questions. For my class it is the exact same way. We have a teacher to make and put up the podcasts, answer any of our questions, and administer the test.

7th Graders Learning Experience
I think this was a great video by this 7th grader. Her class PLE reminds me of our PLN. She posts to blogs, reads the blog every morning to see what work she has to do, and she even does podcast type projects for the class. I think that this kind of technology is important for schools because of the possibilities that you have such as skyping a teacher for a different part of the country or even the world!

The Machine Is Changing Us
I like how he says that, since most conversations are on tv and they are one way conversations, then you have to be on tv to get your voice across and heard. This is true in our day in time because tv is watched in homes all over the country and it is unfortunately a very influencial part in kids lives these days. And i think he describes our generation in a pretty funny way when he says todays generation is... more miserable today than ever before and its because if they dream of being the next american idol and if they dont get it then they are shocked. I also believe people are more and more focused on themselves then what is really important, such as helping others or worrying about worldly things.

3 comments:

  1. Once again I got a person who did not do the previous weeks blog post so once again I'm going to comment on yours. You did not really ellaborate on why you did not like mostly online type of class but I can understand why some people don't. I think that it all depends on the type of class and the type of teacher. A cell biology class seems to be one you would need to ask a lot of questions about and be there in person but then again these types of classes have to start one way or another. We are just kinda the test dummies for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you about not needing to go to lecture classes everyday because things such as lecture notes can be posted online. The one thing that I do think might be a problem with this type of class would be failure to be motivated for younger students. I think that things like online classes are great for some people, but maybe not for students in elementary school because they seem to need a lot of guidance and motivation from their teacher.
    I also agreed with your other two comments. The 7th grader's PLN reminded me a lot of the way that our EDM class is set up. Also, I liked what you said about people feeling as though they need to be on the TV in order to be heard or to get a point across. With our technologies continuing to become more and more advanced, I think that people will quickly learn that this is not true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write "Personally, I really dont like the idea of having a lecture class where you go a certain time per week and the rest of the time is online." Everything that follows seems to make the case that you do like this kind of course. I f you don't explain why not.

    Did you watch all of The Machine Is Changing Us? I will have a post about the video on the class blog soon.

    ReplyDelete